June 15, 2012

First Leggy

This came in the mail as I was literally walking out the door to go to Atlanta for my doctor's appointment. I was soo excited. Even though we were already running late, I ripped open the box and shoved the entire contents into my overnight bag before leaving.

Here is Anna's first leggy!



I think it is so cute. The reason the foot is a different color is because they only make that size baby foot in one color. Obviously Anna's skin is much darker. We will have more feet to choose from when she grows a little.


Anna handled the new leg so well. She didn't mind it at all. She didn't cry. She just kind of looked at, pointed to it from time to time, and then tried to get around like usual. She has learned to be flexible and adjust well after her short leg, casts, bandages, etc. I am so incredibly proud of her! She likes to hug the leg and play with it, too. I have to keep her from chewing on it, though.



She definitely doesn't quite have the hang of using the leg yet. It's a little like watching a baby deer trying to stand up on their wobbly legs. She prefers to crawl because she can get around much quicker.







The difficult thing is that the leg keeps falling off. We tried using different combinations of prosthetic socks to make it a tighter fit, but then the leg doesn't slide far enough up her leg and it ends up being a good inch longer than her other leg. So getting the leg to stay on is a real challenge. Right now we are having trouble using it at all (once we realized the leg was too long with the double socks we didn't want her to develop bad gait habits so we are kind of at a stand still with it). The CP is sending us a sleeve that might help it stay on better. She said it's more work to keep clean since it's made of a gel that sticks to the skin and adds another layer to her already 3 layers of 'stuff', but I'm really hoping it helps the leg stay on. I think if we could just get it to stay on better, she would learn to use it quickly.

I would like to give a shout out to... me! Because I survived an entire month of being a single parent. Yes, a whole month. Ben spent the last month in south Georgia on a rural medicine rotation. I didn't mention it to many people for obvious safety reasons. It was a rough month. Combine first trimester pregnancy exhaustion and nausea with actually getting sick, then Anna getting sick, allergies, a trip to Shriners and an overnight trip to Atlanta and you have a very, very helpless, exhausted parent. I was literally at the end of my rope the last week. Thankfully, Ben is back and after 24 hours of help (like that crucial hour where he plays with Anna when he gets home plus a little help with the dishes) and I already feel 75% better. I have a lot of respect for single moms.

In other (bad) news, Anna appears to be developing more allergies. We now have to cross off more foods on the list thanks to some recent reactions: strawberries and BEANS and other legumes (the allergist said some kids who are allergic to peanuts also have problems with the entire legume family). None of those gave her a problem before, but they do now. I am really upset about it because we eat a lot of beans. We don't eat that much meat, and beans are our inexpensive protein that we use all the time. I don't know what I'm going to do now- cook meat every night? Buy expensive seafood for a protein? UGH!!!!!!! NOT HAPPY! That brings her list of no-nos to include: milk/dairy, eggs, peanuts, nuts, strawberries, peas, beans, lentils and according to the allergist, possibly citrus and tomatoes because they have the same bothersome chemical that the strawberries have. At this rate, we will be eating rice and meat for the rest of our lives. Before Debbie Downer signs off, I will end on a positive note.

Ben had an interview this week and he has another next week. He has an edge in both places because they need someone who is fluent in Spanish. We are hopeful that he will find the right job and we will know where we will be moving soon! It's a little tricky with timing, because most places who are actively looking for a PA want someone who can work soon, and Ben can't work until August or September when he completes his boards so he has to find someone who is willing to wait for him. But we are hopeful. We are really limiting our options only considering places that are part of the rural health federal program, but we feel it will be worth it in the long run.


7 comments:

Sarah said...

wow look at her standing up on it already!! Your daughter really is amazing.

That's a bummer about the allergies. Are any of the allergies ones that the doctor thinks she will grow out of?

And holy hell on being by yourself for a month. I've been by myself for 2 days and I can't wait for Steve to get back on Sunday.

Erika said...

OH MY GOODNESS Anna is ADORABLE on that leg!! Although to be honest, I think the turquoise/flowery romper is half the cuteness. :) Why can't adults look that cute in such things? Ha. Ummm...wow. I am so sad about the legume allergy. I don't know anything about this rural health program, but when I hear "rural" I think "farms" and so I'm thinking...maybe Ben can get one of those jobs and yall can make friends with farmers and they can give you awesome fresh meat in exchange for some flu shots and other medical help??! Sounds like a great trade to me.

Mollyanne said...

Anna looks so adorable! I laughed that you have to keep her from putting her leg in her mouth. But she's 1 - of course everything goes in her mouth! Too funny. I'll be praying for Ben to get the perfect job for your family. And I like Erika's ideas too. :)

Katie Fish said...

I love it! Dylan has that same foot...and if Anna is anything like Dylan, be prepared to watch those cute little toes slowly get shaved down. :) Depending on what he's crawling or climbing or walking around on, if he doesn't have shoes or socks on to protect them they get little nicks in them. But at least it means that he's using his foot. haha.

Unknown said...

Oh you are the perfect family for Anna. :) I loved that first leg, it was SO cute!! Please don't throw it away, she'll love looking at it when she's a grown girl! She'll think its cute too! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
Bless all of you! <3

Kathy Young

Nathan's Dad said...

Nice story, reminds me of when our son was diagnosed with fibula hemimelia.
He had his foot amputated at the age of 9 months, it was a VERY difficult decision to make, but the best decision ever.
Our son is 12 years old now, he has gone through roughly 30 prosthetic limbs, of which we have kept.
He plays sports, swims, runs, skateboards etc.

He has loads of confidence and often tries to do things that his more able bodied friends wouldn't dare do.

All in all we ask a family have absolutely no regrets over the decision to amputate.

Nathan's Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.