May 22, 2014

The Kingdom


People who set out to follow Jesus often refer to The Kingdom. I've always thought of the future Kingdom as the way things will be when Jesus comes back to reign over mankind. All things will healed and as God intended them to be; no pain, no suffering, no sin. Only God on his throne reigning above his perfect creation who has been made whole. Christians talk a lot about the Kingdom... our desire for the Kingdom to come and advancing the Kingdom as an essential role of who we are.



I've always believed that we advance the Kingdom through tangible actions: sharing the gospel, providing for the poor, facilitating physical, emotional, and spiritual healing, and other acts of service and evangelism. Before he left this earth, Jesus said to go and make disciples of all nations.



Advancing the kingdom is important to me as a believer. It's what I was created for. Life makes sense when you devote your time to what you were created to do. I'm reminded of the many facets of interning at Wesley when I spent an entire year serving the students at University of Georgia, missions to Guatemala, inner-city LA, and Peru, and serving at the children's home in India. Before I had young children tangible acts of furthering the Kingdom were a regular part of my life. But now that I have two little ones who require my constant time, energy, and attention that has all changed. I don't have time to serve at the church in a meaningful way right now. I don't participate in missions and I don't purposefully set out to serve the needy, though I try to make the most of any opportunity that comes my way. That's the honest truth. Some say that there is always time to make more commitments to serve, to take part in different things... but for me, I am already stretched thin and easily overwhelmed when life is too busy. I'm a big-time introvert and by nature a Mary (one who values time and intimacy with God) rather than a Martha (one who prefers to be busy doing things for God). I'm not willing to put myself in the position where I am run completely ragged out of a sense of obligation. Yet, I find myself frustrated and empty because advancing the Kingdom is such an important part of who I am. How can I resolve in my heart not advancing the Kingdom in a purposeful, intentional way? Some say that you are advancing the Kingdom by taking care of your children and serving your family... but that has never fully resonated with me. It has never been enough to satisfy my soul's desire.


Lately, I've felt the burden to re-think my understanding of what it means to advance the Kingdom. I've started to wonder if advancing the Kingdom is more than giving, serving, speaking and sharing. Yes those things facilitate the Kingdom coming in a physical way- by the gospel being demonstrated in word and action- but what if there is more to it? What if advancing the Kingdom happens in an unseen way each time we choose God ... each time we honor him in our lives- not just in physical actions but in our thoughts, wills, and emotions? What if choosing good over evil, no matter the form it takes, actually advanced the Kingdom? Maybe every time we resist evil and cling to good the Enemy is defeated in some small way.... and the Kingdom advances.


Maybe I can advance the Kingdom a hundred times in one boring day at home.


I'm certainly no biblical scholar. I have no desire to be. I'm always wary of those who purport to have t.h.e.'biblical perspective'. A good deal of scripture is a mystery and only God holds the complete key. He reveals himself and truth to us as we seek him, but I truly believe that we should approach things humbly and with fear (the good kind). One day we will stand before God and be held accountable for the things we taught in his name; not something to take lightly. So I can't say I hold the answers, but I also don't believe anyone holds the answers. The Kingdom is a mystery. What God is teaching me is to be content in believing that right now, in my crazy life with two small children, the Kingdom is being advanced. Not just through the teaching, discipline, and serving of my children and family but through each instance that the Enemy is driven back and God is put in his proper place as Lord over my life. This is the season God has me in. I know there will be future seasons of serving in a more intentional, visible way, but for now, I will rest in the unseen victories.



Jesus said, “This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come.”j
Mark 4:26-29








1 comment:

Kristina said...

I'm in the same place. And after all, doesn't the kingdom belong to those such as these?