July 5, 2013

Two-and-a-quarter. Six months. Pictures, and the sweet spot.


It seems I've finally reached the sweet spot as a mother of two. These girls are so much fun, and I am absolutely loving this season. Babies are adorable and cuddly and cute, but to be perfectly honest, the first six months are not my favorite. Now that Kimberly has passed the six month mark life has been easier, more enjoyable for everyone, and full of great memories. People always talk about how terrible the twos are, but I love them! They are so much fun as everything is new and exciting and language is developing. Thankfully Anna only had a period of a handful of tantrums, and she now (for the most part) seems to have moved past that stage; she is learning how to deal with her emotions and use language to communicate her needs. 

Yes, there are tedious days, a lot of tiredness keeping up with the two of them, and times where it seems all I do is feed and clothe and wash kids. But I know that someday Anna will not need me to comb her hair, put on her clothes, or strap her into the carseat. Someday dancing around the room with Mommy will not be the coolest thing in the world. Someday she will not want to be attached to my heels. Someday a favorite nursery rhyme will not fill her with utter excitement. So I really delight in this time. I try to be fully present and let it all soak into my memory: the sweet feel of Kimberly's skin against mine when she falls asleep in my arms; the giggles from Anna when I tickle her; the way she pops up out of bed when I get her up; the excited shouts of "Mommy!" when I return home from even a short errand.

My mantra has always been that I don’t want to look back and wish I had experienced and appreciated the special moments more. This was important to me way before kids: during my college days dancing for the Georgia Bulldogs, my internship at Wesley, performing ballroom at UGA, mission trips, and India. I knew all of these wonderful, special times only happened once, and I can honestly say that I don’t look back and think “I wish I had known how great those times were. I wish I had appreciated and enjoyed them more." Instead I look back and say, “I’m so glad I realized that those were special times, that I enjoyed them to the fullest, and that I tried to soak in the memories as much as I could.” For this reason I am not a big picture taker because it tends to distract my attention away from being in the moment. However, I know I will want these adorable ages captured so I make myself take them!!


Our yearly trip to the Riverbanks Zoo has become a Father's Day tradition:


I fell asleep on the couch for about ten minutes and woke up to find this:


My parents were able to come visit, something I never thought would happen again. It was tough on my mom who had to stop and get chemo on the way back, but the time was encouraging for them both and special for all of us. She had been working on restoring my old dollhouse and dollhouse pieces that I built with my grandfather to give to Anna when she was older. She decided to go ahead and bring it now. 







Here's my Grandfather and I with the dollhouse back in the day:





Putting Anna down for the occasional nap in our bed:





I lied about not owning anything monogrammed. My friend recently gave me these bloomers. I have to admit, they are super cute!




I think it's pretty funny how Kimberly is rivaling Anna in size. These pictures highlight how tall and thin Anna is, and how round Kimberly is. It's hard to believe they are almost two years apart in age.



My mom's neighbor sent these dresses for the girls. I typically rely on hand-me-downs for clothing so the girls have never had matching outfits.










*Sigh. Someday...




3 comments:

Erika said...

LOVE that your parents got to bring up that dollhouse!! How incredibly special! It looks great in purple, too. :) I love all these pictures...the girls look so happy!

Jessica said...

These are so precious! The girls look like best friends already. I know watching Kai and Caleb grow into best buds has just been priceless to me. And I am so happy that your parents were able to visit and bring your special dollhouse for the girls!

Mollyanne said...

I am so with you on the first six months not being my favorite. I am trying to enjoy them as best I can but part of me will be relieved to be through this phase again.

Those pics of your girls in the matching outfits are so adorable they just about put me over the edge. Seriously, so, so cute.

I have been praying for you and for your mom. I know you treasured such special time with her.