June 24, 2013

Home makeover: Girls' room

I painted this room this past weekend, all by myself! I don't love this room but I love what it's purpose is. The furniture is my old college furniture, it's crowded and matchy-matchy, but this is the room where hugs are given, tears are cried, and prayers are prayed.

I wanted the room to look less like a baby room/nursery and more of a room that could grow with the girls.



Girls' Room Before:

 
 
After:
 
 
 

 
The color I chose was Spring Mint by Benjamin Moore. Choosing paint is hard. The lighting in each room is different at different times of day, and paint chips are notoriously poor in estimating how a color will look on your wall. So far I've been on target with my paint colors by going light (paint usually turns out darker than you think). However, this room ended up being my least favorite paint choice. You can't tell at all in the picture, but I think it's too dark.  The color is a blue-green, kind of like a seafoam, which isn't the easiest color to pick out and one that could easily go bad. It's also a budget paint job. I finished the first coat and one-third of the second coat before I started running out of paint. I conserved the remaining paint by completing a second coat only on the areas that would be most exposed, leaving patchier areas behind the furniture and on the bottom portion of the walls. Oh well. I didn't want to buy a second gallon :)
 
 


 
I would have preferred to place this directly across from the door but I wasn't about to put that heavy stuff over the crib. I painted those wooden flowers from Hobby Lobby, and the rompers were handed down from my mother-in-law. The shelves hold two of my favorite pictures of the girls:



 
This is Anna's bed. I know, such a big girl! She loves sleeping in this bed and she can get up and down herself. Because it's a double bed it can function as an extra guest bed in a pinch. When Kimberly outgrows her crib they will both sleep here together.
 

 
For now, she's happy in her crib.
 
 
These are the framed Christian nursery rhymes I made here from the Christian Mother Goose Book. They always make me laugh.
 
 
My mom sewed these curtains herself along blackout fabric so they completely block the light. I made that lamp shade. We throw her dirty clothes in the white bucket and keep clean sheets in the hamper underneath.



 
A portion of one of my favorite poems.

 
I have this double mailbox I intend to screw up so I can 'send' little notes and treats to the girls (thanks for the idea Sarah Forbes!).

Well, that's about it for the home makeover. I think I only have the living room left, and the yard. Someday I will get around to those. They are currently being well-lived in!
 


2 comments:

Erika said...

You do such a good job utilizing space!! And I have totally done the budget paint job myself. :)

Sarah said...

Love it!!! The girls are going to love the mailbox - Anna still loves hers and it is so much fun putting goodies in it! The room looks perfect :-)