May 13, 2013

Home Makeover: Master Bedroom


BEFORE:
(old owner's stuff pictured here)
 
Love that pea green, huh?
 
 
 
 
AFTER:
 
 
View from the master bathroom.
I feel like a broken record, but similar to the other rooms, the master bedroom is small. This was fine for Ben and I because we knew we wouldn't spend a ton of time in here. We would rather have more living space like an extra bedroom to use as a play room. It was a challenge, however, because there is really no room for dressers without making the room crowded. We had to find other ways to store things.
 
We decided to go with a gray-black-white-yellow color scheme, similar to the gray-black-white-red of the kitchen and dining room (keeping some uniformity here). We like light colors because they open up the room. So we painted over that horrid green with another (surprise) gray. This gray was Bunny Gray by Benjamin Moore, and I am obsessed with the color! Unlike the true gray used in the kitchen and dining room, this is a blue-gray. It is beautiful and serene, and looks more blue or gray depending on the time of day.
 

Our furniture just happened to work really well- the bed and mattress are both from Ikea. We ended up getting this bed way back when because we loved that it was low enough to the ground that we could hang out with the kids on it and wouldn't have to worry about anyone falling off and getting injured- I love hanging out with the girls on our bed in the morning! You can't really see but in front of the bed is one of those leather ottomans that opens up. We also use that for storage space (blankets and things), and Anna climbs up and down off the bed from it. To make up for lack of dresser space, we fit most of our clothes in the closet (it's a good size) and used the drawers in the nightstands for some extra things.
 
The duvet cover is from Target. The little shelves are from the Christmas Tree Shop and the vases are the recycled wedding centerpieces I keep using (hey, I have 17 of them!). Eventually I will replace those with something a little more interesting.
 
The room has two windows- one massive and one small. I had two pairs of curtains from Ikea and I decided to split up the panels. I used three panels on the big window, and one panel cut in half on the smaller window. Worked well. The curtain rods are from Hobby Lobby- have I mentioned that is the best place to get inexpensive curtain rods?

 
 
Here is the view into the bathroom. The corner bookcase worked great because it made use of an otherwise unused space, and we had nowhere else to store our books. We pared down our book collection to books worth keeping and re-reading. I always love an excuse to get rid of unused things!
 

 
 
The wall collage was a gift from my sister for our wedding. I filled it with family pictures that were edited on PicMonkey (free online editing website) to look vintage.  I used the 'dusk' feature.
 
 
 
One of these is a picture of our wedding. The other is a charcoal drawing Ben made me before we got married. It's one of my favorite things! The frames were reused ones that used to hold my two degrees. I have no use for a framed diploma these days!
 
 
 





Paint (Bunny Gray by Benjamin Moore): Gift
Duvet cover (Target) = $40
Shelves (Christmas Tree Shop) = $15
Curtains (Ikea) = $20
Curtain rods (Hobby Lobby) = $25
Hanging collage = gift
Other stuff- frames, bed, etc. = had
 
Total = $100
 
 
Lastly, we completely finished the dining room. There were a few things we still had left to do. Our picture from the last post:
 
 
 
 
And completely finished:

 
We added some curtains and some shelves. Recognize them? They are the same ones from the bedroom. I really liked them (a great way to display some knick-knacks you love) so I spray painted a few from black to white using the leftover chandelier spray paint. I used them to hold a wooden elephant from our stay in India and a wooden bowl my mom brought home from Costa Rica.


 

3 comments:

Erika said...

I kind of want to move into your room. :) LOVE it!! I am itching to repaint our living room a light bluish-gray and your bedroom looks like it might be exactly what I'm looking for!!

Sarah said...

That gray paint color is beautiful! I have loved seeing all the room makeovers, you have done such a great job with all of them. Can you remind me what the paint color is in the dining room? That is so pretty too.

Unknown said...

Beautiful makeover, Lisa. Your chosen color scheme is better than the pea green. The room looks bigger, lighter, and cooler with the white walls. You didn’t spend a lot for the furniture accessories. What about the paint? Arthur @ ContractorExpress