September 4, 2012

Prosthetic fashion

This title was not chosen because I think I have a particularly wonderful fashion sense, but rather because it has to do with shoes.

Footwear has been one of the added complications of having a prosthesis. It wasn't really an issue before Anna started walking because she went barefoot or wore socks. Now that she has started toddling around, I need to keep her feet protected when out and about.

The difficulties:

1. Her two feet are different sizes. Her prosthetic foot is almost an inch shorter than her right foot and much wider. Shoes that fit one foot are too big for the other, and vice versa.

2. The width of the prosthetic foot makes it hard to find a shoe that will fit over it. Shoes with straps are particularly difficult because they will not reach across her ankle.

3. Heaviness. A prosthesis adds 20% more weight than a normal leg which can more easily tire out a toddler. Shoes have to be lightweight.


Up until now I only had one pair of shoes that worked.... or sort of worked. These pink shoes were really cute, but I had to get two different sizes- a size 2 for her prosthesis and a size 3 for her right foot. The strap would not make it over her prosthetic foot so I ended up cutting it off:







Recently I really hit the jackpot and found a great pair of leather shoes at Target. They actually fit over her prosthetic foot and go all the way up to the ankle! Because they are leather they are very lightweight. They also fit her just right so that there isn't too much extra length on the prosthetic leg side. There will always be some extra length since the foot is shorter than the other, but it doesn't interfere with her ability to walk as much as other shoes. Plus they are darn cute!




I think they look great!

Initially I was aiming for two pairs of good, functional shoes.... but one of those needed to be sneakers. I couldn't find a pair that were lightweight. They all had heavy rubber soles which I didn't think Anna needed at this point. I also didn't want to buy two pairs of sneakers since they are expensive and I knew she would grow out of them soon. I found this pair of white leather-like sneakers that were in like-new condition at a consignment sale. I took them home for $2 hoping they would fit her feet. I barely got it over her prosthetic foot, but it worked!

Ok they may not be the most fashionable things ever, but I'm so glad I found some sneakers that work!




Hopefully as she gets older and has more options for her foot, it will get easier. Until then, we will be in the market for shoes that work and possibly buying shoes in two sizes.

Update: a friend and physical therapist pointed me to a few sites where you can find shoes that are different sizes:


Amputee Coaltio's mismatched and single shoe finder sheet:
http://www.amputee-coalition.org/fact_sheets/oddshoe.html

1 comment:

Katie Fish said...

I'm glad you've found shoes that work! Dylan's first foot (the same as what I believe Anna has) was definitely harder to fit shoes on. It was so thick! His new foot is more slim. So hopefully this will get easier for you guys too. Thanks for the link on the different options for different sized shoes!!