July 14, 2012

Two Annas, Two Leggys, Too Cute






Are those not the cutest faces ever? Such a great time with these two peas in a pod.

Oh, and we figured out the food allergy monster. After the last reaction posted below, we had bloodwork run on a million and one different foods. The positives we didn't know about? Black beans, kiwi fruit, lentils, garbanzo beans, and.... GARLIC!

Yes, garlic. Only the most commonly used spice in America after salt.

Garlic is the secret culprit, not eggplant. When her face broke out like that it was probably the first time she's ever had a piece of straight garlic in her mouth. But she has had bits of garlic consistently and we think it's the most likely source of her ongoing eczema. It is in tons of food like all spaghetti sauce, ketcup, barbeque sauce, chili powder, deli meat, hot dogs, almost anything with any source of spice (if it says "spice" or "natural flavoring" in the ingredients it could very well contain garlic). I didn't know whether to rejoice that I knew or cry. Ok, actually I did cry (um bawl) when I realized how much food has garlic in it (forget eating out). It seems I will have to be make absolutely every sauce or recipe component from scratch. I guess I'm glad to finally know. The saga continues, *sigh.

We are off to the beach with family on Tuesday. Will be sure to post some pictures when we get back.

Now excuse me while I go find some homemade spaghetti sauce recipes.

4 comments:

Ellen said...

we just got a vita-mix (blender/food processor combo) and the thing is a mazing. it came with a recipe book for all kinds of sauces, soups, smoothies etc. i'm finding it easier to get fresh foods into picky kids, but i wonder if it would help make allergen-free food as well (bc everything is made from the basic foods)? and also, does she like the happy tot pouches? i noticed those are dairy free and you can get them cheaper on amazon. hope the beach is a blast! keep up the good work sweet mama!

Kristina said...

Onions! And have you ever used nutritional yeast as a spice? It has great flavor and can be a good substitute for Parmesan too. I use it in scrambled tofu or eggs or everything. You should check to see if there are food blogs for allergies or even vegan food blogs have a lot of great ideas for unconventional cooking. And if I were you I would totally make spaghetti sauce in bulk and freeze that stuff. Cause you know that stuff is like gold to toddlers.
And those pictures are precious.

Katie Fish said...

SOOO cute! Man, I wish we could all get together! And oh man...garlic?? I'm so sorry! I'm sure you'll find a great alternative and figure things out. I'm sorry you have to go through it though. :(

Susan Sinyai said...

Very sweet and happy little girls!