February 27, 2012

Our Favorite Kiddo Books

I'm an avid reader and hope Anna will enjoy one of my favorite pastimes herself someday. I remember going to the local library during our family vacations and getting ten Nancy Drew books. By the end of the week I had finished them all (nerd alert). My parents had to make a rule "No reading at the table" or they would find me trying to shovel cereal into my mouth while keeping a book spread at the same time.

C.S. Lewis once said that all good children's books are equally as enjoyable as an adult. I agree. Well-written children's books have a simplicity about them that the adult world typically lacks. In counseling, a well-timed story, be it written or verbal, was a powerful tool for both children and adults.

We don't have a large collection of children's books yet, but we add to them slowly through gifts or special deals. I'm liking the board books right now because they are easier to handle with a baby on your lap. I didn't realize that most classic books come in a board book version. Here are some of our current favorites.

Anna loved the Hungry Caterpillar illustrations so I knew she would be equally as thrilled with Brown Bear. Great book with beautiful pictures. The story is fun for toddlers to follow.




This is a cute book with touchy-feely ladybugs that are fun to play with.



Probably my favorite. Written by the author of Goodnight Moon.


 The Sandra Boynton books are adorable and unique.


Another sweet, sweet one.


I love the Dr. Suess books. We actually don't have this one but it's one of my favorites.
Right now we have some of the small board books.

These stories mesmerized Anna from day one because the pictures are huge and contrasting. She still loves them.


These last ones Anna is too young for, but they are some of my favorites:




An illustration-only book. Powerful message.






We have a credit to My Publisher that has to be used this month, so I'm working on a simple storybook for Anna about her "story". More on that later.

1 comment:

Katie Fish said...

SO many good books! I cry every time I read You Are Special to Kaden. He always want to read the book about "Punchapillow" (Punchinello). :)