December 30, 2011

Nine Months (and some obstacles)

Our little Anna Bean is 9 months old! As you can see, she is getting around quite well. Pulling up, climbing on top and over boxes, and "cruising". We are very proud of her tenacity!



She's doing great on the sleeping front- is now offiically taking two naps and sleeping 8-10 hours at night, waking up early morning for a feeding, and consistently arising for the day at 7:30.

This month has had its difficult moments. We've been battling atopic dermatitis/eczema stuff on her little skin which has caused her to be terribly uncomfortable and itchy, and we had some scary run-ins with the allergy monster. This is what took place after eating less than one ounce of yogurt:


Not cool. Her face is still lingering red and she woke up numerous times crying last night. Then we had a major breakout of hives after eating some green peas. Needless to say, both dairy and peas are crossed off our food list for now. We are also avoiding other legumes because she might react to them as well (garbanzo beans, other beans, lentils, etc). And because allergic reactions can get worse after each exposure, our doc gave us a referral to an allergist, plus an Epi-Pen Junior script. Ugh. I'm not gonna lie, it's been quite frustrating and tiresome dealing with it all. It feels like we are on a constant elimination diet- right now there are something like 7 foods I'm not sure if she is reacting to, and another 8 foods that we are actively avoiding. You'd think it would be easy to pinpoint food issues but it is VERY DIFFICULT because the reaction can vary, the foods can vary, and the timing is inconsistent. I'm constantly trying to figure out what's causing her problems, what she's eaten, what's changed, etc.

Sometimes I think about her surgery date coming up in 2 months, and I want to scream "WHY?" Why does Anna have to go through this in addition to her leg? Why can't it just be easy for her like other babies? Why can't she eat whatever she wants? Why, Why, Why? Am I complaining too much? Feel free to cyber kick me if so. Despite my ranting, most of the time I really am positive and thankful. I try to stay focused on the amazing qualities Anna was blessed with. And the fact that she is here and alive and a miracle! She is truly a special girl.

Ben and I do not believe these reactions are from God. He is not the author of sickness and disease. We are committing ourselves to prayer for our baby girl and everything she's dealing with. Any and all prayer from others is much solicited and much appreciated, as is any reassuring advice (like "don't worry that happened to my baby and now she eats whatever she wants!" :) Anna and her Mommy thank you in advance!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

no cyber kicking from me, I can't even imagine how hard all that allergy stuff is. Her poor red face!! And peas?? how random.

Also I can't believe she's already 9 months old, holy cow. I am in love with all of her smiles, she's such a cutie pie!

Erika said...

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry!! Her poor red face! And it sounds like figuring out her allergies is like one of those logic puzzle things...I am so sorry yall are having to deal with that. But I must say- the green and blue outfit is possibly the cutest thing ever! I love the occasional 'non-girly' thing!

Katie Fish said...

Lisa! Lots of prayers going your way. I hope you get things figured out. This too shall pass...but man, it's sure not fun in the midst of it. I've been thinking about you and Anna and will now be praying extra for little Anna...and you! :)

Tara Dembowczyk said...

Oh, her poor little face. I can't even begin to imagine what you guys are dealing with concerning the allergies. The first time we realized our son was allergic to penicillin, I freaked out. I can't imagine that happening over and over again and the difficulty of figuring out exactly what is causing it. I'm so sorry, my friend. Your sweet Anna is absolutely adorable. Please know of my prayers for her, you, and the doctors. Press on, my friend.