November 4, 2011

A Good Website for Moms


I thought I would share one of my favorite resources about infant/toddler sleep. There is a lot of bad information out there that can easily mislead parents in what is normal and what is abnormal in terms of sleep- from the age babies should be able to go without a feeding (not necessarily 3 or even 6 months for all babies) to appropriate bedtimes, to napping, to age to sleep train. I've found this website and the author, Nicole Johnson and her staff, to be super helpful and trustworthy. She takes into account a lot of the literature out there (Weissbluth, Ferber, Pantley, Sears) and combines it with her experience. She works with so many moms around the world strictly on baby/toddler sleep that she often seems a more trustworthy expert on what's "normal" than some of these authors.

The Baby Sleep Site

While they do paid consulting as well, I simply use their free resources. There are articles on everything from how much sleep your baby should be getting, how and when to transition into fewer naps, sleep regression, the effects of things like teething, night-time feeding, sleep associations, daylight savings, etc. Basically anything you can think of. There are some helpful e-books on there like "7 Napping Mistakes." If you have an infant or are expecting one, I recommend signing up for her weekly newsletter. I've received tons of information that has helped Anna become a good sleeper. Also, sometimes right when I think she is not doing what is normal for her age I get an article in my inbox that confirms the normal range is a little different than I thought :)

1 comment:

Katie Fish said...

Oh, thanks for the info! I've been lucky to have two great sleepers so far, but I know my luck can't last forever.