September 20, 2011

The Best Summer Ever

First off, let me apologize for my poor structure of this post. I had a hard time making it flow. And I'm sure my grammer is terrible but I'm too lazy to fix it right now. You have been warned.

I was a bridesmaid in my friend Christina's wedding this past weekend.



Seeing her get married allowed me to reminisce about when we met and how it was The Best Summer Ever.


It was the summer before The Best Year Ever - my internship at Wesley in 2006.

I applied for a travelling youth ministry team of six people through Wesley at UGA. The team was built with three girls and three guys whom they thought would fit together and could together provide worship, teaching, discipleship, small groups, and games for youth weeks. Christina and Patrick were the two worship leaders (I don't even come close to possessing such skills).


We travelled in a van for two months all over the state and led youth weeks for 11 different churchs.

It was just the six of us. No one telling us what to say or how to say it. No one doing anything for us. We were totally dependant on God. When we arrived at a new church, we prayed together. We waited on God. What did he want to do this week? What did he want to talk about to these youth? What were their struggles? What was going on in the church that he was passionate about? We listened. We talked. And we led youth week. Each church's week was different. Each night was different. Some nights we had no idea what we were going to talk about with the kids- until God put something on our hearts at the last minute. We planned a few things like games and activities but we left the worship, teaching, and ministry open to leave room for God to lead us. And he always showed up. Because he likes to do that.

It was awesome.

We were a little family of six- together all summer in a van. We slept in youth's homes. We slept on the floor of churches on occasion. We had ridiculous amount of fun. We played a lot of silly games. We got really messy. We did whatever it took to make the youth laugh. We danced to Celine Dion. We lip-synced to Backstreet Boys. We got in flour fights. We got covered in mustard. And ketchup, mayonnaise, chocolate, and hot sauce. God likes to reveal himself in worship, teaching, and ministry..... but also in silliness.

I'm not exactly a silly person. I never have been. I've always been more on the serious, contemplative side. Even as a child. I guess you could say I'm an old soul. Not sure if it's simply my personality, or events that happened while I was young, or both.

Despite my tendency towards the opposite, I became a silly kid that Crossfire summer. One time I even laughed hysterically for 30 minutes straight. While I was covered in mustard. Gross. Who would have thought mustard could be so redemptive? :) 
 
Before we started the summer we were told that some of these churches get really REALLY excited about Crossfire. That they get the preview flyer with our picture and start talking- anticipating what each team member will be like. They tell Last Year's Crossfire Stories. "You'll be like an instant superstar," I was told. Yeah right. I didn't believe it until we arrived to an auditorium full of cheering teenagers. Maybe it was the van.


I dug up some old pictures for my own enjoyment.


WHAT WE DID DURING
 THE BEST SUMMER EVER
Took lots of Crossfire family photos.




Hung out with a lot of youth.




Traveled in a van that was always kidnapped and decorated upon our departure.



Ate watermelon in the watermelon capital of the world.


Got really, really excited to make childhood dreams come true during our days off ....


Slid down homemade slip 'n slides (apparently I missed the memo on how to slide).


Did any and everything it took to make the kids laugh
(ok the boys did any and everything it took, ha!)


Ate a lot of hamburgers, pizza, and cake. Check out my expression upon looking at the Bubba Burger nutrition facts. On the bright side, it was the one time I could keep on a healthy extra ten pounds. Although if it was the result of  hamburgers and pizza it wouldn't be considered healthy now would it. Oh well.



And finally, made a lifelong friend.




It was my first real opportunity to be completely free to walk in my spiritual gifts. It was an opportunity to step out. At the beginning of the summer, I promised myself I wouldn't regret not doing something because of fear. So even though I wasn't the main speaker I still got up there and led the "message"- mostly when God really laid something on my heart to speak. I would try to prepare by coming up with what I was going to say ahead of time but I never had more than bits and pieces. It wasn't until I got up and opened my mouth that it all came together. God wanted me to be dependant on him and not my abilities. It was hard, but so worth it. I'll never forget that summer.

In closing, I came across an awesome letter I saved from one of the kids written to Andy, one of our team members.

I can’t begin to even thank you for all that you did Monday night. It’s kind of funny that as of last Friday night, I had no idea what I would be doing this week. Friday morning, a friend called me, Katie (blond haired girl who left this morning for orientation at UGA) and asked me to come and I was just like um… I don’t think so. I’ve always wanted to visit the church but I was just always afraid of people not liking me or not fitting in.

When your team came in Barberitos Friday night and every one of you asked me to come, I was more sure than ever that the invitation was open. As the week went on I began to feel more and more welcome and at home with the youth group and Crossfire team. Monday night was the climax, as of yet, because I feel like tonight will be the highlight of the journey known as Crossfire. As the invitation played, you came up and asked to pray for me. You have no idea what that started, and the things that you felt burdened to pray for me about were the exact things that I needed prayer for.

There have been relationships in my past, with friends and ex-girlfriends, that ended on a bitter note. For a year now, I’ve harbored feelings of hate towards people. I didn’t speak to them, I didn’t love them, I didn’t care for them. As far as I was concerned, they didn’t exist. Monday night we sang the chorus “we want to be free from everything that keeps us from more of you”. That was what had been keeping me from being closer to God. As you prayed for me, I felt the burden of hate being lifted off of my chest, a spiritual healing of sorts.

I cannot begin to thank you for starting the new found love in my heart Monday night. I wish you the very best in your summer long adventures with the Crossfire team. My prayers will be with you all and I want you to know that what you are doing is not in vain. The little things came together for a reason this week. Your team ate at Barberitos for a reason Friday night. I came for a reason. The reason was that I had to get right with God. I thank you for being bold and being an example. Crossfire 2006 will definitely be something I will NEVER forget, not only for the things I gave up, but for the things I have gained. Thanks for what you do. God is using you in a mighty way, and we are just the beginning for this long and glorious summer. Good luck and God Bless.



What great memories!



2 comments:

Erika said...

This is great, Lisa!! I always heard such awesome stories about Crossfire teams. Thanks for sharing yours!!

Kristin said...

Ah! Thank you for the memories. Definitely one of my favorite summer's as well...especially when I was kidnapped. Thank you for pouring into my students the way that you did. I am grateful for you!!!
(And very sad I missed Christina's wedding. Thank you for the glimpse into it!)