August 16, 2011

DIY Bench

We've been staying at my parents for a few days, and I've always really liked this bench in their guest room. My mom randomly happened to say "Oh, yeah I made that" to which I replied "What? You MADE that?" She proceeded to tell me how she easily turned an old TV stand into a sweet little sitting bench. I was thoroughly impressed. I knew my mom was quite the decorator but little did I know she also has such DIY skills. Here's a picture. It doesn't quite do it justice, because it looks so cute in the room.


She spray painted the bench first. Then she got some thick foam at a Lowes and covered it with coordinating fabric (you would need to know how to use a sewing machine). Voila! Simple as that. We're currently using it as Anna's changing table.

I've really enjoyed hanging out at my parents. It's so peaceful. I especially love their new garden and have been impressed with their gardening skills. I love being able to see so much greenery from the house.


My mother's style is much more contemporary than mine (go figure) but I still love her simple, clean lines. And all the lovely plants. She taught me that combining a bunch of different types of furniture that go well together is more appealing than getting complete matchy matchy sets from furniture stores.


 
(Notice all our baby stuff?)


Anna likes it too. Nice change in scenery.


1 comment:

Erika said...

Love the bench and the house and Anna's yellow striped dress!!