March 31, 2011

Anna Noelle


Well, since it's past midnight and Anna is still going strong and it's about time for my once-every-6 months entry, I'll regale you with a short bio on Anna, my one and only. By the pound (only 4 lbs, 14 oz or so thus far), she's the most inquisitive creature outside of the feline family that I know. Her midnight blue eyes roam the room as she tries to take in absolutely everything. Even when she's sleeping, I sometimes catch her eyeballs hard at work, bouncing up and down and side to side. Tonight, she's my little lip-smacking inchworm as she tries to wiggle herself into a better vantage point of the room. Annababe, why are your dark eyes so wide? Aren't newborns supposed to spend most of their time sleeping? You know, like you did in the hospital a short time ago? Anna is so inquisitive. It appears she is not going to fall asleep until she has her new digs (home) figured out. I guess I can't blame her.

Let's see...what else about Anna? She's a voracious eater. Instead of the "suck, suck, suck, swallow" pattern of normal breastfeeding, Anna is swallow, swallow, swallow, suck, swallow; when she feels like it, she's all business. She put the other L & D babies to shame. I tried to set up a breastfeeding tournament and get some bets going, but word got around quick about Anna and her supersucking skills. So I had to settle for a blue ribbon (w/ pink trim) Champion Breastfeeder award stuck to our hospital room door, which she won by default. (The other babies declined to enter the competition and all had the same excuse - poopy diaper.) Oh well, I'm sure there will be other opportunities to profit from my darling daughter;) Back to her habits, other times she cries wolf or plays hard to get, acting like she is dying of thirst and then sticking her nose up at the proffered meal. Sorry honey, you can have mama's milk or you can have mama's milk. This menu is smaller than you, Pintsize. Or, she sleeps on the job. Anna, I didn't teach you that. Must be my better half.

Anna's also pretty photogenic for her age (2 1/2 days old). We've already captured a smile or two on camera, as well as her pursing her miniscule yet luscious ruby-red lips. One time I caught her in the act and couldn't resist. I gave her a quick peck on the lips and she threw her arms up in surprise (the startling reflex common in newborns).

Believe it or not, Anna cashed in for the moment, so her proud daddy might as well follow suit.

2 comments:

Jason and Kristen Faunce said...

I can't wait to see her again! What a sweet post from a proud daddy! Nothing more sweet than a daddy with a little girl...such a picture of the Father's love for us!

Erika said...

So glad to hear she is doing well and feeding so well! That is awesome! We're praying for you guys...lots of wisdom and strength as you embark on this wonderful journey. Post more pictures soon!