January 13, 2010

Diary of a Job-seeker

I haven't written anything in a while and it's partly because I haven't had anything to write. Well, anything exciting that is. I guess I can share a little bit about the only thing going on in my life right now... finding a job.

Ben and I are moving because he's starting Physician Assistant school in May. So I am looking for a job in the area. It is somewhat complicated since we haven't relocated yet. Here's a little bit about my experience thus far:

To start off, since my degree is in school counseling you would think that's where I would look first. However, what I did not realize when I went into this once-booming field was that a recession was coming and two years later upon my graduation, school counselors would be laid off and counties would be under hiring freezes. Plus, mid-year is not the best time to find a job in the school system. So other options must be considered.

I first started looking (where else?) online. That seems to be the most reasonable plan when you are looking for a job in another area. I found a lot of options and was super excited. After submitting my resume, cover letters, etc. I started to receive reply emails telling me that I needed to get my "credit checked" for "company credit-card security." Suspicious. Long story short, I realized there are a LOT of people trying to scam job seekers right now. Luckily I didn't fall for anything... but I did waste some serious time. And suffered some serious discouragement.

So I decided to try other avenues... things I have experience in and enjoy like college student affairs or academics, other counseling or interventionist work, or administrative jobs. What I kept running into was that I'm either over-qualified for entry-level jobs because I have a Master's degree, or under-qualified for higher positions because I don't have over 3 years of full-time experience. What's a girl to do? I happen to think I am quite a qualified person... but does the rest of the world think that?

It doesn't help that the news and internet constantly bombard you with how impossible it is to find a job right now... how there are hundreds and sometimes thousands of applications for each opening... how the average person takes over 5 months to find a job...(doom and gloom anyone?)

Purposefully ignoring the statistics, Ben and I stopped by a few places to get some info. The current status is that I'm checking websites of specific places I could work: one of the several university or colleges in the area, a military base, and of course the school board websites, just in case. Who knows?

Anyway, I started to get really stressed out when I didn't find a job in like 2 weeks. But my level-headed other-half sat me down for a good talk. He pointed out how I like to have control of things. True. How I like to have a plan. True. How I like to know right NOW what is next. True. How God doesn't always work that way. True. How sometimes he makes us wait. True. He then reminded me of his trip to the Amazon last year, and how he didn't have the money to go but felt like God had called him to it. 48-hours before trip, packed up but with no plane tickets, my faith-filled self said, "Ben do you really think God will come through?" He responded, "Yes. And if he does provide the money and tickets, will you ever doubt that he will provide for us in the future?" "No," I promised. "Not if he does a miracle like that". Which of course, he did. Ben was on the plane 48 hours later. And to add to it, God provided all the money we needed for our 6 months in India without us raising funds. Because we knew he wanted us there. Because he's a good God. He provides for his children when they are seeking to obey him whole-heartedly.

It's funny how easy and quickly we forget what he's done in the past. How we fail to trust him in the present. After Ben and I prayed about the job-search thing, I found a new sense of peace. It will work out. If it doesn't, God must have other plans. Either way, he is good and he provides exactly what his children need, for "no good thing does he withhold".

Wish me happy job-hunting!


1 comment:

Erika said...

Aw Lisa, I totally feel for you. Job searching SUCKS...especially the over qualified/under experienced part. I'm from Augusta, but I don't really have any job leads. My mom teaches at Augusta Christian (private, obviously) but I have no idea what the hiring status is there. My dad works at Ft. Gordon but that means nothing, lol. On the other hand, if you start looking for places to live or churches to go to or where to eat, THAT I may have useful advice on! :) Good luck.